Saturday, June 8, 2013

Simply MYST-ifying

Just a little preview of what I've been working on:


This is a 4 color monochromatic version of the first slide to Myst Island, scaled to a 160X144 pixel resolution.

In short, it's the first shot of Myst re-created for the GameBoy, the first of many... (This is going to be a long project.)

But how did I do it? Well first off, I took a high quality screenshot from the Masterpiece version of the game, originally 543X332.
Then I scaled it down to the Gameboy's native resolution, 160X144.
(Not pictured) The picture was then chopped up into 32X32 squares, with the bottom row being 32X16 due to the resolution. Next comes the meticulous process of turning a picture with over ten thousand colors into a picture with only 4 while still attempting to get the shading and detail right. As you can see, much detail was lost in the conversion.

And now we have our final product, compared side by side with the original:

For my first demo, I hope to have the entirety of Myst Island completed, puzzles and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment