Thursday, September 12, 2013

The 2000 trilogy: A Foreword

You know, from the looks of this blog, I seem like a pretty negative guy. That's mostly true, but I think I'd like to talk about something that I really like for once rather than act like a douche and bitch about things that bother me. So without further ado, I'm going to tell you about a set of three games that I was really impressed by and that I really like. Before I can tell you more about them, however, I must explain what they are. So here we go, exposition time:

In the mid 90's, Atari released three specific games for their doomed Atari Jaguar console that were based off of some of their older arcade hits. Although only two of these three had it in the title, I like to call these three the "2000 trilogy". These were Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, and Missile Command 3D. The only one of these that was fortunate enough to not get buried with the Jaguar once it went under was Tempest 2000. That game was so popular that it got a soundtrack release and several ports to other consoles under the name Tempest 3000. But why not the other two? Why didn't any other Atari games get the 2000 treatment? I can think of several awesome games that could have been made even more awesome with flashy graphics and kick-ass techno soundtracks.

We're going to find out soon enough with our first entry in this series, and my least favorite of the bunch:
Defender 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment